Monday, February 15, 2010

ONE


MY HUSBAND IS NUMBER “1”, WHAT ABOUT YOURS?

Oh! My husband is number “1” in so many ways. He’s a number 1 home provider. He’s
a number 1 helper when it comes to cleaning, ironing, keeping the lawn mowed, maintain the upkeep of our home and much, much more. No, I’m not bragging, I just want you to get to a sense of who my husband is. He does everything he should do as a provider; however, he’s lost in the sea of “1”,000 men when it comes to seeing a doctor.

My husband had never been to a doctor before in his life. I would always try desperately to get him to go. His famous words are, “I’ll let you know when I’m ready”. Now, I’m trying to be a good wife, so I decided I would only ask him every six months to a year. Well, years begin to pass by, and still, when I ask him if I can make an appointment for him, he would say, “stop pestering me, I’ll let you know when I’m ready”!

In the mean time, my husband would loose three people in his family, each one dying less than a year apart. Each death was un-expected. This is a family who had never seen severe sickness or death in their immediate family before. The first to expire was a younger brother who had always had problems with seizures, most of his life. He was mowing the lawn one early morning when he fell to the ground suddenly of an apparent heart attack. In less than a year, my husband’s mother suddenly fell to the floor and was rushed to the hospital where she expired within a couple of hours. We were told that she had a blot clot in the chest area. She too, had never been sick. In less than a year from the mother’s untimely death, another young brother, who had never been sick before, started to have problems about a week before being rushed to the hospital. Another brother tried desperately to get him to see a doctor and he kept telling him no, and he did not want the rest of the family to know. We thought that he thought, if we knew what was going on, we would have called the ambulance to take him to see about care. Well, this brother who tried desperately to get him to go to the doctor, finally ask, “why”. “I don’t want to go because the ones who went before me didn’t come back” he said. Needless to say, the brother finally convinced his brother to go to the emergency room. And to our surprise, he expired within thirty minutes upon his arrival at the hospital. His cause of death was, diabetes.

I stress this information to show you why my husband will not go to the doctor. He was afraid. But eventually, I put my foot down, made an appointment and took him to the doctor. He was furious; which didn’t matter because I am the boss. After everything was said and done, he received a clean bill of health. Before we left the doctor’s office, he thanked me graciously. I love my husband and hopefully you can see why he is number “1”FOR NOT WANTING TO GO TO THE DOCTOR. What about yours?

No comments: