Saturday, May 28, 2011

Stephen Colbert’s Wikiality

My Thoughts One Year Later

When I first listened to Stephen Colbert’s cynicism on the Wikiality episode in January 2010, I was totally against anyone using Wikipedia as a viable source of information including myself. My thoughts were that the vast majority of the information read on the Wikipedia web site was untrue due to the fact that it open content and anyone can submit entries. Now, one year later, my thoughts have some what changed. Some entries may be true, misinformation or just untruthfulness because the person uploading the information knows he’s able to do it or for proving points. What ever the reason a researcher must always check their resources to make sure the information is correct. Just recently, I had the opportunity to work collaboratively with a great group of people on a CMU project that was just uploaded to Wikipedia. I feel really good about our entry and its information and to support our thoughts and findings there are resources located at the end of the entry.

Now that I understand Wikipedia better today than I did a year ago, I will promote and use it along with educating other users of this website to always check for validity through its resources and searching other sites as well. One year ago, I called “Wikipedia”, “Wickedpedia”; today I call it “Resourcefulpedia”.

Works Cited

Colbert, S. (2006, July 31). Wikiality. Comedy Central. Retrieved January 11, 2010, from
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=72347

1 comment:

Z. Stewart MacLean said...

Thank you for sharing your new view of Wikipedia. I too find it to be a more useful source than I once did. I've recently been in a few conversations about Wikipedia in the staff lounge, and they often find it amazing that we are even talking about the site in a Masters level class. Everyone assumes (as I did) that the site holds no educational value and therefore should just be avoided altogether.