Monday, May 23, 2011

Wikipedia-Situated Learning


Life Happens

On May 16, 2011, shortly before class ended, I received an emergency call from my mother stating that I need to contact her as soon as my class ends. Class ended a little after 8pm and I decided to send my teammates a quick e-mail stating that I would create our account at PBworks. As I begin to create the account, my mother called again and said we needed to get to the hospital right away. I stopped what I was doing, picked up my mother and headed straight for the hospital. Once we got there, I found that my mother’s only brother had been in the hospital since 11am that morning without the knowledge of any family members. He was just being placed in a room at 9:30pm as we arrived. His condition was not good but, to make a long story short, as of today, he is still in the hospital…doing better than he was…diagnosed with dementia. He will be returning home soon to live with one of my sisters.

Upon returning home that night, I logged onto the computer to work on what I promised to do-only to find that, for the first time ever, I could not log on to the Internet…bad modem. We ordered another modem and were told that it would be here the next day...”next day” never came. In the meantime, I began to panic! I decided on Wednesday during lunch to contact my group through e-mail and I have to say, I have the best group ever! They told me not to worry. Julie created the account; Sharon kept me up-to-date by phone and e-mail while keeping the group abreast on every move as she explained to me, “We as a group will get through this. You do what you have to do to take care of your family.” Once we picked and set up our new modem, I was unable to log into my account. Thankfully, Camille was able to e-mail me back and forth until I was able to sign in. My group really worked with me until I was able to fully participate but without Julie, Sharon, and Camille’s help I would not have done it.

This may seem like nothing but, other things happened that you wouldn’t believe…Murphy’s Law! So, what did I learn from all of this?

  1. What it means to have a TEAM who’s got your back and I never heard the “I” word; at all times it was “We.”
  2. How to utilize PBworks and Wiki…pretty cool! After I relaxed, I can say I enjoyed it.
  3. …and most importantly (after #1) I need to update my technology! I have a notebook but I need a wireless network adapter and a new phone (Blackberry)! A change will come!

THUMBS UNLIMITED to my TEAM, Group 3!

PBWorks Link - Situated Learning

7 comments:

maribelgonzalez386 said...

I think it is nice when WE all work together as a group.

maxinewilliams2090 said...

Sorry to hear about you uncle and thanks for having such a wonderful team!

foyeb46 said...

Life re-surface for a family member!

The experiment and research for
Alzheimers is progressing and hopefully will be available for all who needs it.

rasberrybilly said...

Mrs. Koonce I read this blog and I think it is fantastic!

Fannie said...

That is why we call it a group,because everyone is together as one.keep praying everything will work out for your uncle.

lennyrichauto said...

all things work together for the good of those who love the LORD and called according to HIS purpose be encouraged

Adrion Walker said...

I truly appreciate this post. I am not one of your team members but I do understand all the things in life that we experience that are beyond our control. No don't in my mind I would have step up for you as well. I just experienced some death in my family last class and was totally out of it and really didn't have the concentration to complete a lot of the work. Thanks to Karen Truitt who has encouraged me throughout this program. Since our first team activity we have keep in touch and been a support to one another. Thanks for sharing.